Some of the things I find myself explaining from time to time:
- Types of central heating boilers: condensing, combi, "sealed systems" etc
- Types of Hot Water Systems: conventional tank in roof, "Megaflo", combi boilers etc (see also my vented and unvented HW systems page)
- Showers: gravity-fed, pumped, "power showers" - separate pump or all-in-one unit on wall etc
- Central Heating Problems: fault-finding
- How to Repressurise a Worcester-Bosch Greenstar boiler with an Internal Filling Key
- Electrical: Richard Hall, trading as Red Kite Electrical, is once again working in the Reading area. I have worked with Richard many times previously and am generally happy to recommend his services.
- Drainage: I have worked with Don Catt's A Better Drainflow on a few occasions and been happy with his work.
- I've met and chatted with Gabriele Scicluna a few times. He seems a nice guy and to know what he's doing. He trades as Amy's Clearance Service, Amy's Chimney Sweeps, Amy's Guttering Cleaning Service and Amy's Tree Pruning Service. (He's listed in the little green book.) You can contact him on 0118 947 3560 or 07778 340444.
- Gardening: my wife Georgina Taylor does domestic gardening - lawns, hedges, pruning, planting & garden maintenance - and is particularly friendly and sympathetic towards elderly clients. She can be contacted on 0798 695 4723 or 0118 954 2406, or email email@example.com
- The University of Reading's Handy Persons page lists tradespeople (including me) who members of staff have used and recommend.
- The Little Green Book is a directory of various trades and professions. (I'm not listed in it.)
- The Carbon Monoxide and Gas Safety Society is a charity trying to reduce accidents from Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning and other gas dangers.
- How much water do you use? figures from the BBC's Water Usage Calculator
- The Connect Right website has information on how houses' drain pipes should be connected to avoid pollution of streams and rivers with sewage, and overloading of sewers by rainwater. There is a PDF brochure which illustrates how waste systems should be connected.
- Tempted to sign up for a fast-track plumbing training course? Read this first!.
- The uk.d-i-y wiki is a collaborative website (like Wikipedia) maintained by some regulars of the
uk.d-i-yusenet newsgroup (Google groups link).
- My page on the uk.d-i-y wiki (includes links to articles I've majored on).
- My personal home page.
- My computer stuff site.